Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Bowing


Prior to arrival, I was very  well aware of the respectful culture in Korea toward elders.
Regardless of the fact that I had seen it before, or that I have been witnessing it be done multiple times throughout my quotidian day;I must admit it still comes as a surprise and feels a tad bizarre when my students bow down to me. When they say Hello or Thank you or sometimes Goodbye, they bow down to me.I am bowed down to.I am certain the unusuality of this action will soon wear off, but I am stirred with joy realizing I am fully integrating in another culture. 
In addition, I myself have started adapting my customs, and when I am greeting or saying farewell to my boss, I am bowing. 

After all, when in Rome ...... do as the Koreans do 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...