Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Thousand Splendid Suns

Afghanistan
I want to make it an ongoing trend to analyze and express my insights post-reading a touching book. Oftentimes we feel inspired by a great read, or story, but inevitably let those feelings pass and lose the flame. Perhaps writing down my thoughts and lessons gathered from each book, will serve as a continuous reminder. As well as maybe influence others to read & be inspired as well.

Today's book is: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.  


“One could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofs. 

Or the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls”



A simple summary: It is the story about two women, whose lives intertwine amid the violent years of war, and Taliban rule, in Afghanistan. The author cleverly relates the suffering of Laila and Mariam, to the massive injustices faced by all females in this country. Besides highlighting women's oppression,  the book additionally includes a heart warming love story, embeds Afghanistan's history and politics well into the character's daily lives, and perhaps just in my optimistic reading eyes, it also showed the importance of looking at the beauty of life in the hopes of a light at the end of the tunnel.

it's not my intention to give any of the book's important plot away, but my lessons learned are based off the book, so I recommend to GO read it! -Spoiler alert-

Being a (n educated) woman

The thought of being a simple possession, an instrument for creating male babies, shattered me as I read this book. Throughout my studies, I focused many of my courses on human rights, and despite my awareness and knowledge on this subject, it still deeply affects me reading about these violations.
What did I do to become so lucky? How do I deserve this? Not only to be born a female, live in a country that respects females, but with a family that believes in my  future successes.  I know there are customs and traditions that differ, for example: although I feel free and beautiful to publicly show my hair, I understand other woman may choose not to do so, and feel equally happy. Yet, what baffles me are those "customs and traditions" that belittle and undermine a woman. The book portrays many of these impotent aspects such as : wearing of the Burqa, prohibiting female education, punishment of public wandering without male representation, etc. I know many of these circumstances have changed, and continue to be challenged around the world ... but ..
If there is one fact I am constantly aware of, and never take for granted, is the realization that what I have been given many others with my nationality, gender, and social status, may only dream of. I feel empowered and determined to not let this chance of luck I received go to waste. With that, I hope other women understand the importance of lifting each other up, and strive for the day when these injustices will be in the past.

Overcoming obstacles by Love. 

Sometimes I get so wrapped up in a story that I forget it is fiction, but I sobbed and cried reading this girl's struggles. Not only Mariam's but Laila's as well. In fact, I related to Laila in so many ways. Then, when everything was taken away from her, including her supportive parents, I couldn't imagine how she managed to live her new obstructed life. I then came to the conclusion that it was through love.  She loved her daughter & that kept her fighting. Later, when Tariq comes back into her life, her unburied love for him, gave her the strength to escape the nightmare she lived in. 
Love.
Very philosophically speaking, the lesson I gathered is that perhaps the best way to overcome any obstacle in life is to focus your energy on the "thing" you love the most. OR, put incredible amount of love into a goal or dream you want to achieve. For some this happiness may be another person, for me I think is achieving my goals, for others it may be an art, or success. Whatever it may be. In the book, Laila had absolutely every odd against her, but still she tried to escape, to "fake it until she made it", to give her children a happy life. On the other hand, Mariam, who didn't have such a happy ending, still managed to see the beauty in the sun. She overcame her obstacles of guilt by learning to love herself.

Okay, whehh, I could go on forever! If anyone is interested in continuing this conversation, or have any other "main lessons learned" I would love to hear them! Feel free to comment :)

Needless to say, I absolutely loved this book! Recommend it 100% 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...